Dear Sir,

I worked as a Predoctoral Research Scholar at Penn State University, Pennsylvania, USA. I was on a J1- exchange visitor visa category from February 2016 to December 2017. As an exchange visitor on J1 visa, I am subjected to a 2 year home residency rule which is until December 2019 (i.e., December 2017 to December 2019).
As my wife is working in the USA on J1 visa I will be visiting USA on a J2 visa this December. I understand that I have completed only 1 year of home residency (i.e., December 2017 to December 2018) and as per requirement and I will have to serve the remaining one more year towards the same which ends in December 2019. Here, I have 2 questions and I would greatly appreciate your kind help in this regard.

Question -1: I came to know that J2 visa holders also have to fulfill a home residency requirement and hence my question regarding this is, will I have to serve a total of 3 years now? ( i.e, one year from my J1 visa + 2 years of J2 visa towards home residency requirement) or only the remaining one year from my J1 visa.

Question -2: I have a job offer as a postdoctoral scholar in the USA. So, I plan to apply for a work permit with my J2 visa. As mentioned earlier, I am yet to complete one more year of J1 home residency requirement and so I was wondering if I can change my current J2 status to J1 in the USA before I complete the remaining days of home residency (i.e., December 2018 to December 2019, the remaining 1 year).

Your kind advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated in this regard.

email :

This question has not yet been answered

Posted in: Q & A.
Last Modified: November 6, 2018

Leave a reply