Hi, I am a Postdoctoral research Associate on J1. My visa is valid till 2019. I am engaged to an american citizen and we plan to get married in a couple of months. At the moment due to work we leave far apart. I am looking for jobs to move closer to him. To submit my job applications I have answer if I require sponsorship for employment visa status. I was wondering if I can legally work on my J1 visa, outside of academia, while I will be apply for a green card?

Thank you

This question was answered by Admin - Not a Lawyer:

You can use J1 practical training to work legally. The job must be related to your field of study.
Posted in: J-1 Visa, Q & A.
Last Modified: May 15, 2018

Leave a reply